Roni Schuetz, Project Manager & Lead Architect and web technology advisory
AboutRoni Schuetz, a Swiss and Israeli national, is an IT project manager, enterprise architect and software engineer. He works as software engineer with over 18 years of professional experience with scripting and object-oriented languages on multiple platforms. He has many years of in-depth experience in designing and implementing large-scale client/server, scalability tools and web-based systems with particular focus on high availability, scalability, and throughput. Roni is the founder and key contributor of various open source projects while the biggest success is shared cache, an open source distributed and replicated caching system and is contributing to multiple open source projects.
Technical InterestsIn 2010, Roni decided to join his current employer and to take a new challenging role as an Enterprise Architect. Currently he is mainly focusing on RESTful (ROA) and Service (SOA) Oriented Architectures, Enterprise Software / Architecture and RESTful Web Services in the transportation industry.
Private InterestsHis photography hobby he began around 1996 with underwater photography. He could combine scuba diving and photography together which is an incredible experience. Actually it was his brother and his uncle who got the ball rolling. It did not take him long time until he was fascinated by it. Since April 2012 he switched from a semiprofessional compact camera models to DSLR cameras.
- Birth year - 1978
- Education - Software Engineer
- Activity - Software Developer, Advisor, Trainer, Enterprise Architect
- Nationality - Swiss and Israeli
- Marital Status - Divorced
- Languages - German, Hebrew, English
- Program and Project Manager / Lead architect
- Software architect (.Net, Java & LAMP for enterprise based web software)
- PSS (Passenger Service System) API architecture and development with RESTful Web Services – based on resource oriented architecture
- TOGAF Modeling
- Technical project lead and coordination of middle and big sized projects (internal and outsourced)
- Project lead, concepts, accomplishment and administration of international based open source projects in coordination with freelancers
- Coaching and introduction of new complex technologies and processes to colleagues/freelancers
- Analyses, design and implementation of innovative and complex development projects in the following areas: communication, B2B / B2C, transportation and distributed applications
- Concepts, implementation and administration of heterogonous applications
- Branch know-how: telecommunication, industry, ticketing, UPS, B2B, B2C and transportation
- Product training for standard and custom software
- Operating Systems - Red hat Linux, Windows, Windows Server (03&08R2&12)
- Languages - .Net (focus on C#), C++, VB6, Perl, Java
- Libraries - .NET(1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.x), MFC, ATL, WPF, WCF, Silverlight 2.0 / 3.0, ASP.NET MVC, JQuery , JSON, Java, JAXB, JAX-RS (Jersey), JAX-WS
- Databases - noSQL, MS SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008, Oracle 9, 10, 11
- Network/Protocols - TCP/IP, http(s), ssl, mapi, sockets, ftp, jabber, UDP
- Methodology - UML, Scrum, RUP, Agile Development
Project Implementation Overview
Passenger Service System – Project Manager / Lead ArchitectJan. 2013 – Oct. 2014 – Managing and leading product engineering for web based enterprise applications for worldwide based transportation customers.
The products span across the transportation portfolio for various verticals such as reservation, travel and merchandising and are developed using agile and iterative development approaches.
- SAAS (Oct. 2014) – transportation cloud solution for front- and back- office systems – software as a service
- 14 team members globally distributed
- HTML 5 / CSS 3.0 web applications for storefront sales
- Project volume: ~1.8 Mio. USD
- PAAS (March. 2014) – European transportation cloud services - platform as a service
- Initial size is 30 servers
- Linear scalability up to 300+ servers
- Linear, vertical and horizontal scalability for rapid expansion
- 16 globally distributed team members
- Project volume: ~1.2 Mio. USD
- Successfully accomplished on time and on budget
- SAAS – Integration (March 2014) of third party IBE (internet booking engine) and Merchandising Solution into existing customer application landscapes for immediate revenue growth
- Integration of multiple products to boost merchandising
- European and South-America based customer base
- Project volume: 1.1 Mio USD
- Successfully accomplished on time / on budget
Managing a total volume of 4.1 Mio. USD through all projects. Overall are more than 50 intern and external people involved to deliver this line of next generation products
Environment - Linux, Microsoft, Java, .net, Hudson, Maven, TFS, HP Vertica Database, Gitorious, Redhat, JBoss, Tomcat, Jetty, Hibernate, JAX-RS, JAXB, JAX-WS, ASP.NET MVC 4, ASP.NET WEB API2, Ruby
Transportation Flight Planning2012 - 2013 - Responsible for web service roadmap and integration on client site between the new flight planning system and the existing customer legacy systems. Analyzed interactions between client implementation team and core product teams with the goal to identify improvement and potential to provide guidance in regards of the implementation.
Created and managed implementation of Web Service Strategy across flight ops product suite. Working with the customer to develop various strategies and best practices for Schemas and WSDL’s. Introduced and implemented web service governance for all products in HP flight operation suite.
Environment - .Net, Silverlight, SOA, Visual Studio 2010, Web Services XML, XSD, WSDL, TIBCO Business Works, Intel Gateway for API Management
RESTful API for PSS (Passenger Service System)2011 – 2012 - Lead architect to develop cloud based RESTful API architecture across various transportation verticals for multiple tenants with various sales, services and distribution channels. The system relies on a PAAS and SAAS based cloud model.
- Lead architect
- Technical project lead
- Technical responsibility for 23 team members divided into 4 teams
- Integration and modifications of core-modules
- Analyses, design
- Schema and representation design
- Best practices
- TOGAF modeling
- DDD - domain driven development
- Scrum methodology
Environment - Java, Hudson, Maven, Gitorious, Redhat, JBoss, Tomcat, Jetty, Hibernate, JAX-RS, JAXB, JAX-WS
OTA Speaker, RESTful Architecture, April, Miami2012 - Official speaker and employer representative for RESTful architecture at Open-Travel.
Rising complexity and cost of managing legacy travel distribution systems are leading many travel companies today to adopt a REST (REpresentational State Transfer) architectural style because it provides standardized resources that enable precise interaction with other systems.
Publication: http://www.slideshare.net/ronischuetz/opentravelorge or http://www.slideshare.net/opentravel/opentravel-advisory-forum-2012-rest-xml-resources
Transportation Reservation System (Passenger Service System)2010 – 2012 - Transportation store to combine a multi-client, multi-channel, multi-tenant and BPM (business process model) system. Retail trade branch solution for enterprise clients such as airline customers, it fulfills legacy and governance requirements of high complex processes across transportation verticals.
Environment - Java, Hudson, Maven, Gitorious, Redhat, JBoss, Tomcat, Jetty, Hibernate, JAX-RS, JAXB, JAX-WS, Tibco
Transportation Flight Planning2010 - Analyzed interactions between onshore and offshore teams with the goal to identify improvement and potential to provide guidance in regards of the project documentation granularity (TDS - technical design specification).
Moved into code review role and helped to improve the system performance in several areas.
The main activity was to define the configuration management process (CM) for these distributed teams. Traveled to China helping the team to get the proposed CM rolled out globally.
Environment - .Net, Silverlight, SOA, Visual Studio 2008, JSON, XML
Company-wide implementation of SharePoint 2007 - collaboration implementation2009 - 2010 - Company-wide introduction of SharePoint 2007 collaboration. With SharePoint 2007 collaboration capabilities the company replaced approx. 20 individual solutions with one standard approach.
- Technical project lead (5 members)
- 160 Stakeholders
- Analysis, profiling, design, development, implementation
Companywide introduction of Team Foundation Server 082009 - Companywide TFS upgrade from 2005 to 2008 - introduced and established TFS 2008 across multiple development teams. Since the official establishment of TFS 2008 all development teams are using a wide range of TFS functionalities. Additional used functionalities are project security, project reporting, daily-, smoke- and nightly build. These features are used in addition to the normal code repository functionality.
- Project lead and implementation
Environment - Team Foundation Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, SQL Server 2005, SharePoint Services 2007 3.0
SharePoint 2007 Performance Optimizations2009 - With a wide range of customization and custom development the SharePoint environment was not ready for a ‘go-live’ because of slow performance and recurrent crashes. By implementing multiple custom adaptions, system optimizations and custom code reviews the project went live with only a short delay.
- Project lead and implementation
- Reporting to stakeholders
- Analyses, profiling, design, development
Distributed and replicated memory object caching system2007 – 2011 - Shared Cache is a high performance distributed and replicated cache system built for .NET applications running in server farms or cloud systems. Shared Cache provides distributed and replicated cache topologies which minimize load factor on database systems. Applications are able to scale out linearly. There is no other efficient way to increase performance of applications than the usage of caching to unload deeper layers.
- Open source project hosted on http://sharedcache.codeplex.com
- Project lead, analyses, design, development
Environment - C#, .Net 2.0, .Net 3.0, .Net 3.5, Visual Studio 2005 / 2008, TCP – UDP Socket Development, Team Foundation Server on codeplex.com, Unit Tests, Continues Integration, asynchronous / synchronous development
Link(s) - http://sharedcache.codeplex.com (http://www.sharedcache.com)
Publication - http://www.ronischuetz.com/pdf/VS1-0208-schuetzshared-seiten42bis46.pdf
Airline PSS – Passenger Service Solution and Ticketing2006 - 2008 - Within the e-commerce department of Swiss International Air Lines worked and maintained the online ticketing platform which was redesigned and extended with multiple booking paths and functionality.
- Advanced development of existing projects based on stakeholder requirements
- Integration and modification of core-modules and payment options (such as vouchers)
- Technical project lead and software architecture
- Analyses, design, database adoptions, XML schema design and development
Environment - C#, .Net 2.0, Visual Studio 2005, Oracle 9, Oracle 10, Team Foundation Server, Java-Web-Services, Java Script, HTTP(s), SOAP, Unit Tests, Continues Integration, MOSS 2007
more profile history upon request